Businesses these days are looking forward to switching to eco-friendly alternatives when it comes to packaging. Sustainability has not just become a trend, you can say it to be a movement; an initiative. And the reasons are crystal and clear. It has set forth a positive image for future generations. And also sheer profitability.
When exploring sustainable packaging solutions, brands should explore options to reduce, reuse or recycle—always in this order due to their significance and impact.
Transforming a product to sustainable packaging, there is a proper balance of the three things. And are the ones that you should come across -
- Performance - A sustainable package should perform and function in the same way as the present does.
- Economics - The cost of compostable packaging is nearly close to the current packaging. This is because the consumer wants to purchase something "sustainable". And they are willing to pay extra for the same.
- Environmental Impact - A sustainable package should have a smaller carbon footprint in comparison to the current packaging.
When we are talking about the current status of sustainability, few truths should be disclosed. Here are some things that you should know -
- Most people want to recycle. But then, they put packaging into the non-recyclable bin. And this is a major segment of the recycling industry.
- To curate a sustainable life cycle in the packaging industry, all the parties should have a win-win situation. This include -
- Business Brand
- And the last thing is, if you are doing nothing, it is unacceptable. You are missing out on opportunities.
So now you know, when you are exploring compostable packaging solutions, the conversation commences with major three R's -Reduce, Reuse And Recycle. The order is supported to be significant and impactful.
The procedure commences with examining the customer's current packaging for reducing carbon footprint as much as possible. Let's take for example, in sports nutrition, many brands have already switched to flexible packaging.
So let's just review, rigid containers are recyclable. As per life cycle analysis, compostable packaging is the best solution for environmental security. In comparison to rigid containers, flexible packages are one of the most suitable and cost-effective solutions for shipping in the e-commerce industry globally.
For most food products, the idea of reusable packaging is logistically problematic. One of the best and large-scale markets that have been successful in reusable packaging is the Canadian beer industry. If you go virtually, all the brewers use the same bottle. The sales hit mainly through selected retailers. Consumers have to pay a deposit and all the major brands are set up to wash and reuse the same bottles.
Once the brands have reduced as much as possible, they can reuse where they can. The best way to enhance sustainability is by ensuring their packages are recyclable and made from recyclable content.
This segment has loads of technical advancements. When it comes to flexible packaging, the product is made out of 30% recycled content and considered mono polymer.
Another green solution that is gaining popularity is compostable bags. These are curated from plant-based materials and the reliable ones are even certified. Furthermore, switching to this form of compostable packaging could channel businesses and organizations to customize their packaging design and will not end up getting stagnant in landfills.
Compostable packaging has the application of getting degraded both commercially as well as at home. The challenges faced during the initial phase are the weight limitations and barrier requirements. But brands like SuprPack, have made it a different route. The compostable packaging bags that they have introduced can carry up to 10 kgs of weight. The proper blend of design and technology has made it possible for reusability for a good period.
As per our visuals on packaging options, we have jotted down different packaging functionality based on performance, economics and environmental impact.
- Plastic or current packaging does give performance, acceptable economics but not eco-friendly.
- Degradable packaging presents preferred performance, unacceptable economics and environmental impact.
- Compostable packaging with certification supports performance, economics and is highly eco-friendly.
- Bio-based packaging entails preferred performance, unacceptable economics and acceptable environmental impact.
- Recycled-content packaging brings preferred performance and economics, and acceptable environmental impact.
As a developing brand, you will have to keep your reputation upright. And also keep holding onto customers for a longer relationship. As much as the products and services are important, you will have to focus on the transition to sustainability. People are becoming aware of environmental protection. And if you are one of them, you will fetch higher profitability.